NBSA Season 2015-16

NBSA Season 2014-15

NBSA Season 2013-14

NBSA Season 2012-13

Important Message

This website is now only a read only archive of Nottingham Snooker results, photos and videos.  Detailed results are available from season 2007/08 to the end of the winter season 2015/16.  For fixtures, results etc. for the summer 2016 season onwards, please visit the new NBSA website.

To visit the new NBSA website, click on the link below:

http://nbsa.org.uk/index.php

You should be able to log in to the new website using your username and password from this site.

Author Topic: Division 3: Jon Sully 0 Jason Ashurst 4  (Read 2496 times)

Jon Sully

Division 3: Jon Sully 0 Jason Ashurst 4
« on: 27/07/13, 02:13 »

I plumbed new depths of despair in this match. Jason was nowhere near his best and still won easily.  

If I can't sort this out I shall be packing it in.

Good luck Jason, I am confident you will win division 3

dwayne46

Re: Division 3: Jon Sully 0 Jason Ashurst 4
« Reply #1 on: 27/07/13, 16:34 »
Unless you can sort your head out I suggest you do give it up as it seems to cause you a lot of issues and you don't seem to enjoy it, so why bother?

Go do something that gives you enjoymanet in life.

mattiewalters@hotmail.co.

« Reply #2 on: 27/07/13, 21:57 »
Echoe that, if i played something and did not enjoy it i would stop playing simple as that. Nothing worse than someone saying they going to pack in playing all the time.

sixofclubs

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/13, 00:40 »
Ok, I'll never say it again.

Just wanted to be honest about how I was feeling after the match, but I understand it sounds bad and overly melodramatic so from now on I'll shut the #### up.

No one cares anyway.

Daniel

« Reply #4 on: 28/07/13, 16:19 »
Don't worry about it Jon.  As far as I'm concerned, you may as well vent off on here if you're peed off, its not like you're hurting anyone.  This forum gets boring with all the posts being the same.

What's wrong with doing what I'm about to do and be controversial, outspoken or honest?  Forums are for debating too folks. ;)

Well played.  Unlucky.  Good luck in your remaining matches.

BORING OR WHAT?

I respect you for being honest about how you feel after a match.

I've been through the snooker version of, "The Dark Night of the Soul," myself.  I had a couple of months off and was fine again, but the main problem was just that I was trying to be the player I was as a teenager - which I am clearly not today.  I just don't have the game or time to re-develop it now.  Now I have accepted it I am happier with my game.

My advice is:-

1.  Finish your summer matches ASAP and take a few weeks off.  I bet you a few quid you'll come back happy to play again.

2.  Lower your expectations.  Snooker is about as hard a game as you will find.  We play against some pretty talented players in Notts (and Derbyshire) so there is no shame in finding it tough (and its great fun making it tough for them occasionally) and the high standard can make you feel like a weaker player than you are.  If the likes of you or even crappy old me play the average Joe we'd absolutely hammer them.  Think about it....

jaguar

« Reply #5 on: 28/07/13, 18:17 »
Don't worry about it Jon.  As far as I'm concerned, you may as well vent off on here if you're peed off, its not like you're hurting anyone.  This forum gets boring with all the posts being the same.

What's wrong with doing what I'm about to do and be controversial, outspoken or honest?  Forums are for debating too folks. ;)

Well played.  Unlucky.  Good luck in your remaining matches.

BORING OR WHAT?

I respect you for being honest about how you feel after a match.

I've been through the snooker version of, "The Dark Night of the Soul," myself.  I had a couple of months off and was fine again, but the main problem was just that I was trying to be the player I was as a teenager - which I am clearly not today.  I just don't have the game or time to re-develop it now.  Now I have accepted it I am happier with my game.

My advice is:-

1.  Finish your summer matches ASAP and take a few weeks off.  I bet you a few quid you'll come back happy to play again.

2.  Lower your expectations.  Snooker is about as hard a game as you will find.  We play against some pretty talented players in Notts (and Derbyshire) so there is no shame in finding it tough (and its great fun making it tough for them occasionally) and the high standard can make you feel like a weaker player than you are.  If the likes of you or even crappy old me play the average Joe we'd absolutely hammer them.  Think about it....

Could not agree more, well said,
Let's face it ,in all the years I have played this frustrating game we are all competitve and most chaps I have played do not like to lose , me included, basically it's how you handle it,some are better than others(most of the time I kick the dog when I get home after a thrashing and then staff bull gets one ) sorry wife.

sixofclubs

« Reply #6 on: 28/07/13, 19:46 »
I think you and me both Dan have it in us to be a little fiery at times!!

I try not to show it on the table if I can help it. I never had that difficulty on the golf course - I became very proficient at hurling seven irons at beautiful trajectories after yet another missed green. But that's another story!

Steve, I empathise that you empathise if that makes sense. I don't actually mind losing and I know that sounds disingenuous but it's true. The problem I have (and yes, I recognise it as a personality flaw) is underperformance relative to both the hard work I've been putting in and to what I know I am capable of.

If someone beats me because he is flat out better, or played better, or even got lucky, I couldn't give a monkeys as long as I fulfill my side of the bargain, or get reasonably close to it..

So my recent frustration has come to the surface not because I don't enjoy snooker (I do) but because I have been practising my tits off and actually going backwards.

I have often said that I am not interested in being crap and this is also true. If I had never improved at golf I would have got fed up with that too. In fact I stopped when I did because I had reached a plateau and realised I was never going to better it. For me a massive part of the 'fun' is improving.

What I have found with snooker, although I already knew it, is that it's just about the hardest game I have ever played. It doesn't make it any easier taking it up seriously aged 40 with a young family in tow - but that won't stop me going on a quest to see how good I can get. You have to have goals and targets to embark on a journey and I have those and recently they have seemed as far away as the moon.

I don't think it makes me a bad loser. It might make me unrealistic or deluded but I'm pretty sure I try to lose with as much grace as I can and generally recognise that most of the time my opponent is more experienced and better at the game and good luck to them.

Ironically, a couple of days after my match, Steve Butler and Chris Winter really helped me out, and I now feel a lot more positive about the future.

I am enjoying having a focus again after a few years in the doldrums post-golf. I'm also enjoying meeting some new folk and going to venues and clubs that I would never normally have visited. Like anything, once you delve into a topic like snooker you really develop a respect and interest in the skills and subtleties of the game and if anything, I regret not taking it up sooner. But at the same time I know full well that if I were to plateau where I am now (crap) then I probably would pack it in, hence my honest response to my match on Wednesday.

Perhaps next time I'll just post the score and be done with it!

jaguar

« Reply #7 on: 28/07/13, 20:27 »
Jon, you are truly a honest guy and a gent from my interpreation of your posts,you speak very well and your posts are very interesting,hence my responce,let me put things in perspective about sport,I am a golfer,  (no where near your standard) unfortunatley I reached my plateau at around 15handicap.no matter what Faldo faults an fixes videos I watched I still was crap and could not progress, I finally accepted that and thought about packing in,but then it dawned on me I can still enjoy it no matter what standard,in life I have learnt to accept that some guys are better than others no matter how much work you put in, I must admit if I am honest I have beat myself up loads of times about my performance at snooker and golf, it goes back to word perspective,sport is not everything

sixofclubs

« Reply #8 on: 28/07/13, 22:30 »
I agree Steve, my perspective could do with some work!

I've always known that and I do try. But it can be a Catch 22 really because I often feel I only got as good as golf as I did because I had this attitude...if I'd just treated it as a bit of fun (which is fair enough, most people do) I imagine I just wouldn't have maintained the focus and desire that is needed to really learn and improve.

Of course it's possible to take it too far and Lord knows I did that a few times in golf!!

I just hope I learned from it and improved as a person.

Snooker is rapidly reminding me to get that perspective back, be thankful for everything and to be a bit more realistic!!

Mcenroe

« Reply #9 on: 29/07/13, 13:29 »
From a coaches perspective all the information out there suggests that if you draw a graph with the usual x and y axis with age along the bottom and hours of practice up the side, the curve (which shows rate of improvement) would be a similar shape to a letter "r".   Essentially as we get older you have to put in hours of effort to almost stay the same level with only a bit of improvement. Yet when you are a child you get much better with hours of effort. The rate of improvement declines with age (sadly!).  The same curve actually exists in terms of performance, so the initial improvement from nothing to something can be quite quick and then this slows down to virtually a plateau as has been said already. 

As an aside I decided to devote 3 weeks to golf in advance of playing in Scotland in mid August. I have had 2 hours ish a day on the practice ground for the last 8 days and 4 lessons since February on becoming a technical golfer rather than a converted tennis to golf player who just hits it. I still started with a 9, 6 yesterday but tried to stay calm and continue and there were plenty of signs of good stuff with improvement in the round. Unfortunately we can't help but sometimes look back or remember our best times and think we are getting worse when actually the right approach (however impossible to do) is to stay in the present and look forward. The past has gone and therefore is irrelevant.

Snooker is actually a game where performance can be measured in many ways. I would think measuring it by how many pots did I make that I think I should make is bound to be counter productive?  It is normally one of two performances for snooker players - days when you see the pot and days when you don't ever feel comfortable and see the pot. My advice would be not to measure your performance on every single day or to even measure it in match play. Look at it across a 2 year cycle. Playing an opponent is hugely different to playing on your own.  For most players who play a similar amount to you over a longer period such as 10+ years they achieve breaks 30-40 a few times a season and may have a rare break around 50 every blue moon. However they don't ever go to the next level whatever that is. If they play an opponent and it is quite a safety battle they may come off with the odd 14 break and that is it but they may still get a win.   I would think you have reached a standard of 30+ breaks really quite quickly and this is due to your hard work.  The next stage is actually to improve your matchplay and shot selection as well as the most important factor cue ball control (positional play).  This won't necessarily mean 50+ breaks long term but I would think it will mean a greater number of 20+ breaks on a consistent level.   I also think it will mean more crucially potting colours with reds. I think that is the most important stat for our level - how many reds potted do I back up with a potted colour. Even if you only have runs of 2 to 6 balls potted in a row the most value is never the first pot but the second. A bit like breaking serve at tennis is never meaningful unless you hold your own serve afterwards.  I never mind an opponent potting a red as long as the colour doesn't follow.  Think about this strategy and you will see an improvement. 

A lot of this may be common sense but it may help. I know exactly what you are feeling as others have stated above. Time out, a change of perspective or a change of routine will all help. 

Stick with it :)

mogsy

« Reply #10 on: 29/07/13, 14:27 »
Hi Jon, although we've never meet I would just like to say that I gave the game up for over 13 years due to family life but more so the frustration that snooker brings. In my younger days played at a high level & thought that going back to it would be easy (how wrong was I). I started to play again only 18 months ago & I to thought I can pot that (it was easy 20 years ago) but the frustration was slowly coming back. Practice helped but what I found really useful was the book 'The Chimp Paradox'. It's author is Dr.Steve Peters. He's a psychologist & the book is about brain reprogramming, he has helped Olympic cycling team, various Olympic athletes & recently Bradley Wiggins win the Tour De France etc... but more importantly for me he has helped Ronnie O'Sullivan. The book costs around 8/9 well worth a read. Give it a read, hopefully it will help, its certainly helping me

sixofclubs

« Reply #11 on: 29/07/13, 16:40 »
Thanks Dan, that's what I call a considered response!

The age thing is an interesting one. I didn't take up golf seriously until I was 22 and although I didn't want to admit it at the time, that was probably already too late. But I went and fooled myself by improving at a rate I considered acceptable. I think the reason players lose it as they get older is not just the eyes, fitness etc, I think it's more down to years of cumulative disappointment and loss of hope and even boredom. If you start a bit later than everyone else you are at the bottom of that curve and can stay motivated longer.

This is why I am still interested in snooker despite in my opinion my results since I started 2 years ago being pretty poor. I appreciate that it's a long road and that I have made it very hard by starting so late. I'm not saying I am expecting to be world champion, just that I want to keep improving and one day play the game to a very high standard (ie be able to make regular centuries). I may never get there, but I will try.

Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do own a copy of the Chimp Paradox and for some reason it didn't seem to sink in much at all. I shall have to read it again. The best sport psychology book that I ever read was 'Golf Is Not a Game Of Perfect' by Bob Rotella. I read that many moons ago when I was stuck on a 5 handicap and within 6 weeks of reading it I shot 71,71 to win my Club Championship by 7 shots and reached a 2 handicap.

Maybe I should read it again but this time with my snooker cap on!!

mogsy

« Reply #12 on: 29/07/13, 17:05 »
Good luck Jon, there is light at the end of the tunnel, keep up the charity work, let us know when you & Steve are thinking of playing at the Towers, I'll round up a few regulars & staff to put their short arms in their long trouser pockets

JoeReynolds12

« Reply #13 on: 30/07/13, 02:57 »
I have that book! Never read it though! LOL