NBSA Season 2015-16

NBSA Season 2014-15

NBSA Season 2013-14

NBSA Season 2012-13

Important Message

This website is now only a read only archive of Nottingham Snooker results, photos and videos.  Detailed results are available from season 2007/08 to the end of the winter season 2015/16.  For fixtures, results etc. for the summer 2016 season onwards, please visit the new NBSA website.

To visit the new NBSA website, click on the link below:

http://nbsa.org.uk/index.php

You should be able to log in to the new website using your username and password from this site.

Author Topic: Intermediate Handicap Final: Tom Goldstein 3-1 Dwayne Martin (27/04/13)  (Read 2010 times)

Steve Butler

• Administrator

Congratulations to Tom Goldstein who defeated Dwayne Martin on Saturday evening at Gotham Match Room to win the Leisure Awards Intermediate Handicap Snooker Championship title 2012/13.

What this match lacked in quality, it made up for in determination and it also featured an incident of controversy and a freak lost key incident!

Frame 1: Goldstein 40-63 Martin
Goldstein really struggled in the opening frame and he needed one snooker going into the colours.  Martin almost went in-off on the blue, but the cue-ball hit the jaw of the middle pocket and stayed out much to his relief.  Martin almost went in-off the pink too but he eventually potted it to go 1-0 up.  A good start then for Martin.

Frame 2: Goldstein 58-50 Martin
Martin got off to a decent start in the second frame but Goldstein managed to claw his way back into it and he led by 6 points going into the colours.  Goldstein potted yellow and green but Martin potted brown and blue to leave Martin trailing by just 2 points.  Unfortunately he left Goldstein a simple pot on the pink and he made no mistake, taking the frame and levelling the match at 1-1.

Frame 3: Goldstein 75-58 Martin
Martin again got off to a good start but Goldstein yet again slowly clawed his way back into the frame and he trailed by just one point with green-black left on the table.  Martin had a great chance to clear but he snatched at the green and missed.  Goldstein held his nerve to pot green, brown, blue and pink to take the frame and lead 2-1.

Frame 4: Goldstein 84-66 Martin
A couple of early teen breaks from Goldstein in this one put him 3 points in front.  He then laid a good snooker and Martin gave away 16 points in fouls.  Goldstein was now starting to flow but he missed the final red which would have left Martin needing a snooker.  Martin potted the red but failed to pot a colour and this meant he did indeed need a snooker.  Goldstein clipped the blue when going for the yellow and the 5 point penalty meant that Martin could now win, there being 24 points in it with 27 remaining.  Martin then laid a good snooker which Goldstein failed to get out of twice and there were just 16 points in it.  Good stuff there from Martin. 

It was then Goldstein's turn to lay a snooker.  It was a relatively easy one cushion escape but Martin mis-judged it twice and we were back to 24 points the difference!  Goldstein then potted yellow and green to leave Martin needing two snookers.  Martin laid another terrific snooker and Goldstein failed to get out of it - 25 points in it now, 22 on the table. 

The brown ball seemed to have something against Goldstein here, every time he tried to pot it he got a kick!  A bad shot then from Martin - he missed the brown completely and hit the pink to give 6 away and leave a free ball. 

Now for that controversy!  Goldstein nominated pink as his free ball and he rolled up to it to lay a snooker.  I called a foul and this was challenged by Tom and his Dad Simon.  I did start to doubt myself but I was sure this wasn't allowed so I stuck with my gut instinct and called the foul.  I did check this later and I was correct, but I was wrong in that I awarded a 6 point penalty.  It should only have been 4.  We all make mistakes! 

Goldstein then fouled again as he failed to hit the brown.  There were now 21 points in it with 22 on the table (should have been 23 in it had I not incorrectly awarded 6 points!).  Martin potted brown and blue but unfortunately he snooker himself on the pink.  Just 12 points the difference with 13 points remaining.  Goldstein then secured frame and match with a fantastic long cut on the pink, much to the relied (in hindsight) of the referee! 

What an amazing frame.  Both players battled hard throughout the match and no doubt Martin's 28 point start in each frame affected the dynamics of the match.

As for that freak key incident.  At the end of the match I just could not find my house keys anywhere.  I had everyone searching their pockets but no joy.  After I had given up hope of ever seeing them again, I slammed the door of the match room and heard a jangling noise.  I looked behind the cupboard and there they were.  They had fallen off the back and freakily hooked themselves over the end of a nail!  Had I not slammed that door and heard them jangling, I was all set for an expensive change of locks!

Goldstein also picks up the high break trophy thanks to his run of 54 in an earlier round.

Both finalists will be presented with their trophies at the NBSA Golf Day and Presentation Dinner which will be held at Oakmere Park Golf Club on Tuesday 30th July 2013.  CLICK HERE for details.

Final
Thomas Goldstein 3-1 Dwayne Martin

Semi-Finals
Dwayne Martin 2-0 Steve Howard
Adam Corbett 0-2 Thomas Goldstein

Quarter-Finals
Thomas Goldstein wo-sc Kwok Yip
Manny Sant 0-2 Adam Corbett
Bob Walker 1-2 Dwayne Martin
Steve Howard 2-1 Matt Walters

Last 16
Adam Corbett 3-2 Toby Bowley
Daniel Norton 1-2 Bob Walker
Doug Bough 1-2 Thomas Goldstein
Dwayne Martin 2-0 Jon Sully
Kwok Yip 2-0 Ant McMahon
Manny Sant 3-0 Bo Murtagh
Matt Walters 3-0 Joe Reynolds
Steve Howard 2-0 Adam Goodall

Last 32
Adam Goodall 2-0 Paul Wainwright
Ant McMahon 2-0 Steve Burrows
Bob Walker 2-0 Jeff Kerins
Chris Mathers sc-wo Matt Walters
Daniel Norton wo-sc Istvan Sereg
Doug Bough 2-1 Dave Pearce
Harvey Pabla 2-3 Manny Sant
James Robinson 1-2 Bo Murtagh
Joe Reynolds 2-0 Jonathan Mason
Jon Sully wo-sc Robert Wright
Luke Webster sc-wo Adam Corbett
Malc Belshaw sc-wo Dwayne Martin
Ross Wilkin 0-2 Kwok Yip
Shaun Parkinson 0-2 Thomas Goldstein
Steve Howard 2-1 Neil Elliott
Toby Bowley 2-0 Nick Kirkman

Preliminary Round
Andy Carnell 0-2 Jeff Kerins
Andy Teale 0-2 Jonathan Mason
Brian Steeples 0-2 Robert Wright
Cary Davies 1-2 Neil Elliott
Daniel Di Folco 1-2 Steve Burrows
Dave Pearce 2-1 Sean Croft
Donny Merry 0-2 Thomas Goldstein
Glenn Price 0-2 Paul Wainwright
John Fountain 1-2 Kwok Yip
Nick Kirkman 3-1 Mike Langdon
Paul Bell (BCI) 2-3 Dwayne Martin
Steve Butler 1-2 Bo Murtagh

dwayne46

Thanks for hosting and reffing the final Steve, I never got going and didn't give a very good account of myself, too many easy pots missed, my long game not there at all and that was probably my worst performance of the competition.

Second frame I gifted the frame away after looking at the wrong score thinking I only needed pink to win it hence me going for the super fine cut. Wasn't the prettiest of matches but all in all happy to have made a final and gained more valuable experience.

After last nights disappointment I've had a good lift today a smy neighbour has told me that I can have a snooker table FREE of charge! just need to find somewhere to put it now!  :)

james

After last nights disappointment I've had a good lift today a smy neighbour has told me that I can have a snooker table FREE of charge! just need to find somewhere to put it now!  :)

Im sure i could find somewhere for you Dwayne, like my house  :D