NBSA Season 2015-16

NBSA Season 2014-15

NBSA Season 2013-14

NBSA Season 2012-13

Important Message

This website is now only a read only archive of Nottingham Snooker results, photos and videos.  Detailed results are available from season 2007/08 to the end of the winter season 2015/16.  For fixtures, results etc. for the summer 2016 season onwards, please visit the new NBSA website.

To visit the new NBSA website, click on the link below:

http://nbsa.org.uk/index.php

You should be able to log in to the new website using your username and password from this site.

Author Topic: League & Cup News - 2nd November 2009  (Read 1616 times)

MikeL

League & Cup News - 2nd November 2009
« on: 02/11/09, 13:44 »
WINTER SALVAGES POINT IN STYLE

Singles League

Chris Winter and Stewart Crosswell are joint top of the Premier Division after a pulsating encounter at Spot On Sneinton.  The opening two frames were shared before Crosswell forged ahead thanks to a good thirty something break in the third frame.  Things also looked good for Crosswell in the final frame having built up an early lead however Winter dug deep and produced a superb 94 clearance to salvage a point from the match.  Newly promoted Neil Elliott produced a fine performance against Wayne Martin winning 3-1 to give him his first win of the season whilst league debutant Jamie Moore got off to a winning start by defeating Zeb Ahmed in the other Premier Division match.  In Division One it's Arnold's Malc Belshaw who leads the pack after a good 3-1 win against Wayne Bilbie whilst Toby Irons also has a 100% record after beating James Booth 3-1. Shaun Parkinson enjoyed an impressive 3-1 away win against last years runner-up Mike Langdon who is pointless after two matches.  Steve Coleman will be pleased with his start to the sesaon having earned another point, this time against Danny Castel-Nuovo who is third in the table.  The big match in Division Two was between Clint Broome and Rob Wallace which finished all square and allowed Paul Bell to lead the early table by a point after seeing off Oakleigh's Steve Roe 3-1.  There were bragging rights to be settled in the final match where City Hospital team-mates Jordan Parnham and Sean Croft clashed for the first time this season.  It was Parnham who came out on top winning by 3-1 but Croft can take some consolation from the match as he knocked in a superb 41 break during his frame success.

BEWARE THERE'S A GIANT KILLER OUT THERE!

Cup Competitions Round-up

Oakleigh Lodge's Adam Robinson caused a huge upset in the 1st Round of the Handicap Singles Championship by dumping the much fancied Nav Hussain out of this years competition winning by two frames to one.  Hussain had to give a 42 start and could never seem to get on top of his opponent who was in fine potting form.  A disappointed Hussain was very noble in defeat stating, "Adam impressed me with his long potting and really deserved his win tonight, there's still the singles championship to go for so it's not all bad....life goes on". Sean Croft bagged his place in the next round with a 2-1 win over Pete Gormley in what was a good match with both players making 20+ breaks.  Mike Langdon came from behind to pip Danny Castel-Nuovo in the all Pegasus tie whilst Clint Broome won a scrappy encounter aginst Matt Hearson-Ellis who knocked in the matches highest break of 29.  A missed pink in the first frame proved costly for Daniel Norton against Neil Elliott who went on to win comfortably in the only other match in the competition.  One of the best matches so far this season took place down at Beeston in the Singles Championship where Tom Walters had to raise his game to see off Stadium's Matt Hearson-Ellis three one.  Hearson-Ellis snatched the opening frame with an excellent 22 clearance but no matter how well the Stadium man played Walters was just getting stronger and stronger as the match progressed building to a crescendo in the final frame where he made breaks of 40 and a superb 81 clearance to win the match in style.  Last season's Handicap Singles runner-up Barry Stark dispatched BCI's Steve Coleman three nil in the only other match played to date.  In the Handicap Pairs Championship a strong looking Arnold partnership of Chris Winter and Gary Spencer came through a tough examination down at Cotgrave against the dangerous Harry Briody and John Cyrek.  The match was settled in the deciding frame by the Arnold pair when first Chris Winter made a 23 contribution before Gary Spencer carried the pair home with a well taken 30 break.  Jonathan Mason & Kwok Yip, the 2007 champions are safely through after a good 2-0 win against the Stadium pairing of Pete Gormley and Ross Wilkin, Ross was a replacement for the unwell Clary Plowman who we all wish the best.  There was better news for the Stadium club though with a terrific away victory for Daniel Di Folco and Bob Walker over BCI's Jamie Moore and Hanson Stowe in the only other match to bring you up to date with.  

Just a reminder that all 1st Round matches need to be played by 15th November so get calling your opponent.  The draw for the 2nd round will take place at the next league meeting on Thursady Nov 12th.

Daniel

Re: League & Cup News - 2nd November 2009
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/09, 19:22 »
My tip for the Premier Division in the singles is for Stu Cresswell and Neil Elliot to look stronger than their handicaps by the end of the season, especially if players expect anything but a tough match against them. I've played them both recently and Stu might even top the table with that handicap.

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/09, 19:31 »
I could have let it bother me to end up drawing my singles match with Adam Robinson after leading twice.  However it made me feel a lot better about my form when he mentioned he had just knocked Nav out of the cup.  :laugh:

crosswell147

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/09, 20:44 »
Cheers daniel   :happy:

Steve Butler

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07/11/09, 20:16 »
The singles league was covered in the Nottingham Evening Post on Friday:

EVENING POST ARTICLE